The Emanuel County Board of Education met on Tuesday, September 13, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. at the Emanuel County Institute auditorium with the following members in attendance: John Allen Bailey, Del Brown, Phyllis Dixon, Mason Henry, Tanya Lane, Johnny Parker, and Sandra Swinney. Chairman Mason Henry welcomed everyone before calling the meeting to order. Del Brown delivered the invocation followed by Johnny Parker leading the Pledge of Allegiance. The agenda was approved as presented.
Superintendent Comments - Awards and Achievement Recognitions
Public Relations Specialist and Teacher Induction Coordinator, Tammy Gray, recognized the following students:
Swainsboro High School – National BETA Convention
• Jose Hernandez, first place - 11th Grade Spanish; Faith Ann Rogers, third place - Division I Digital Art; Alayna Stapleton, seventh place - 12th Grade Agriscience.
The event was held June 30 – July 4 in Nashville, Tennessee. Sponsors were Cindy Riner and Selena Reynolds.
Swainsboro High School – Website Design
• Savannah Reynolds, Website Design – Final Seventh Place
The event was held July 1 in Chicago, Illinois. Sponsors were Linda Kelly and Shayla Coleman.
Twin City Elementary – National BETA Club Convention
• Hendley Blackburn, Third Place – Painting; Hendley Blackburn, First Place – Science.
The event was held June 28 – July 1 in Nashville, Tennessee. Sponsors were Susanne Bowen, Marla Hooks, Cassidy Curry, Mandi Johnson, Emily Kennedy, Adam Akridge and Jodi Jarvis.
TCE – Club Events
• Camden Hall was the student representative for the 2-dimensional design, the club was awarded sixth place.
Marla Hooks sponsored the event.
• Lane Sherrod and Brayden Coleman were student representatives for the technology event, the club was awarded seventh place.
Susanne Bowen sponsored the event.
Emanuel County Institute – Junior Beta Club National Convention
• Lawson Frye, second place – Speech; Jackson Cavanagh, ninth place - Marketing and Communications; Mason Collins, ninth place - Marketing and Communications; Evan May, ninth place - Marketing and Communications; Robert Reynolds, ninth place - Marketing and Communications
The event was held June 26 – June 30 in Nashville, Tennessee. Sponsors were Sondra Cowart and Anna Johnson.
Teacher of the Year Recognitions
Dr. Denise Warnock recognized the following teachers:
• Kristie Brantley – Swainsboro Primary; Joan Turner – Swainsboro Elementary; Bob McNeely – Swainsboro Middle School; Cindy Riner – Swainsboro High School; Mandi Johnson – Twin City Elementary; Katie Cowart – ECI
F.A.M.I.L.Y., P.A.U.S.E. and S.A.S. August 2022 Recipients
Gray recognized the following recipients for F.A.M.I.L.Y., P.A.U.S.E. and S.A.S:
• Amy McBride – Special Education Teacher at ECI, earned the F.A.M.I.L.Y award; Mattie Boulineau – Senior at SHS, earned the P.A.U.S.E. award, George Vassel – Bus Driver in Transportation, earned the S.A.S. award
Superintendent Comments – Other
Mollie Smith presented FY21 and FY22 Review of School Activity Accounts Audit information with board members.
The board heard an ECI school update presented by Anetria Edenfield, ECI school principal.
• Smith presented minutes from the August 10 regular bd meeting and August 25 called bd meeting
• Smith then presented financial reports to the board.
• Discussion was held on the GSBA Board of Education Training Plan
• Board members entertained discussion on SMS Book Disposal.
• The board reviewed fundraisers for the year 2023.
• Smith gave salary schedule presentations for paraprofessional and administrative support.
All items listed for discussion on the night’s consent agenda were approved by board members.
The board then entered executive session. Upon re-entering normal session, the following action took place:
• Board members approved the classified employment of Gene McCook, TCE paraprofessional; Brittany Boyette, SHS paraprofessional; Brianna Screws, SES medical paraprofessional; and Yveka Snead, SES PE paraprofessional.
• Board members approved classified employee resignations for Amanda Atkinson and Quantiniana Lovette, Pre-K paraprofessionals; Kathryn Braddy, SHS paraprofessional; Cherica Jones, SPS paraprofessional; Amy Holloway, TCE custodian; and Carrie Jones, TCE paraprofessional.
• Board members approved the retirement of certified employees, Christy Green, SMS teacher; Amanda Harmon, SPS teacher.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here