City of Adrian meets for month of July

Posted

Adrian Mayor Wynola Smith and city council members convened for their monthly meeting Monday, July 12, at the Adrian Annex. Mayor Smith called the meeting to order at 6 p.m. The meeting was as follows:

Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance: CM Hutchinson led the invocation. All in attendance stood for the pledge.

Adoption of Agenda

  • The council voted to adopt the agenda.

Announcements: None

Public Speakers

  • Zelda Sumner- Fire Dept: Not in attendance.

Adoption of Minutes

  • The council voted to adopt the June 14th minutes and executive minutes.

Unfinished Business

  • July 4th Event - Mayor Smith thanked everyone for their part in the event and stated that it went well. The Rec Department made a profit from the event. There will be t-shirts from the event being sold at City Hall for $10.
  • Permission to make repair to city property - DOT informed the city that the area should be surveyed so the citizen would know what guidelines need to follow. The council agreed to postpone the matter until more information is available.
  • Update on ARPA - Mayor Smith stated that city has received the first part of the funding. She asked for the council to think of suggestions for what the funding should be used for.
  • Update on tearing down icehouse and Knapp building - The icehouse has been torn down. Shannon Watkins will start working on the Knapp building on Mondays.
  • Update on Grant (EPA) - Mayor Smith stated that she has a meeting on Tuesday to get the application process started.
  • Update on Charter/Ordinances - Paul Calhoun stated that the charter is in the process of being finished. He would like to hear suggestions from the council on ordinances the city needs. He provided Mayor Smith with some ordinances from surrounding cities for the council to review.
  • Update on weather alarm - CM Love stated that she has gotten two quotes on the weather alarm and has decided to look into building a weather alarm instead.
  • Update on vacuum leaf equipment - Mayor Smith stated that they have received the equipment and it seems to be working well and will do the job.

New Business

  • Progressing and moving ahead - Mayor Smith stated that as the city progresses and moves forward that not everyone will be pleased with the progress but the mayor and council must do what is best for the city in order to help the city grow.
  • Next event - Will be the Trunk-or-Treat on Sunday, October 31st from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Recess Regular Meeting

  • The council voted to go out of regular session and into executive session at 6:15 p.m.

Executive Session

  • Real Estate & Consulting with legal counsel

Call Regular Meeting to order

  • The council voted to go out of executive session and into regular session at 6:19 p.m.

Department Head Reports

  • Fire Department - Chief Yawn reported that calls had slowed down the past months but started pick up some around the first. He will be looking into a quick response truck for the department.
  • Street/Water Department - CM Brown reported that he spoke with Johnny and everything is going good with the department.
  • Police Department - Chief Strickland reported that they have been a little busy the past month. They are still waiting for permission from the DOT for the traffic light cameras. They have received permission from Georgia Power to put the cameras on the light poles for the time being. Until they receive DOT approval the camera will only be used as a tag reader. Chief Strickland is also looking into some more grants for the department.
  • Safety Department - CM Hutchinson reported that the Safety Department had a meeting on June 30th regarding working in the heat. She also stated she inspected the buildings.
  • Recreation Department - CM Love stated that they have raised enough money to redo the concession stands. They will redo the cabinets and install a hot water line. The Hinton House donated some lockers to be used for the concession stand as well. CM Griffin thanked Ms. Debbie Meadows for helping with the event in her absence.

Council Members Remarks

  • Julie Griffin - none.
  • Suzanne Hutchinson - none.
  • Jesse Yawn - none.
  • Michelle Love - stated they are excited for the Halloween event and that the Rec Dept will be participating alongside the Police Department for the Back the Blue Event in November.
  • Ed Brown - stated that a citizen asked for a pavilion to be added to the park. CM Love stated that they hope to raise more money for the Rec Dept to be able to purchase one in the future.
  • Mayor Wynola Smith - reported that she spoke with the DOT about the potholes under the red light and they stated they will be working on resurfacing that area in the future.

Adjournment

  • The council voted to adjourn the meeting at 6:45 p.m.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here