DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN GEORGIA
by Whitley Clifton | October 10, 2019 10:49 am
In 2013, 29779 victims were served by Georgia domestic violence services.
• 27 counties in Georgia have no access to domestic violence services. Another 26 counties have very limited access.
• Georgia ranks 9th in the nation for the rate at which women are killed by men.
• In Georgia in 2014, firearms were involved in 66% of all domestic violence fatalities.
• In 2014, children witnessed 29% of Georgia intimate partner violence.
DID YOU KNOW?
• 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men in the United States have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner.
• On a typical day, domestic violence hotlines receive approximately 21,000 calls, 15 calls per minute.
• Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
• The presence of a gun in the home during a domestic violence incident increases the risk of homicide by at least 500%.
• 72% of all murder-suicides involved an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these crimes are female.x
- In Georgia, there were 84 DV related deaths from Oct 2018 to Sept 2019