City of Adrain requests permission to use schoolhouse
by Halei Lamb | June 27, 2018 3:58 pm
by WHITLEY CLIFTON
The Emanuel County Board of Education held its monthly workshop meeting at 7 p.m. on Monday, June 25. Johnny Parker led the invocation, and John Allen Bailey led the pledge of allegiance.
In reference to superintendent’s comments, the following occurred:
• Adrian’s mayor, Kim Adams, was present to request the vacant schoolhouse be gifted or leased to the city for the use of business and recreational use.
• Superintendent Dr. Kevin Judy announced that the central office would be closed Wednesday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day. He also stated that the board’s July meetings would be held on July 16 and July 23 due to a Georgia Association of Educational Leaders (GAEL) function. Dr. Judy then publicly thanked board members for taking part in Whole Board Governance Training held Monday, June 25.
• Whitney Lawrence gave a synopsis of the FY19 budget to board members, which was accepted as presented during new business. Parker made the motion, and Bill Rogers Jr. gave the second.
In reference to new business for approval:
• Salary schedules for FY19 were motioned for approval by Bailey and seconded by Del Brown. All voted unanimously.
• Three fuel quotes for bids on diesel, gas, and oil for FY19 were presented to board members. Dr. Judy recommended using Abbott Oil Company. Bailey motioned to accept, Brown seconded, and all voted in favor.
• Truck quotes were submitted for the sytem’s white fleet trucks. A bid in the amount of $11,898 from Daniel’s-Bishop Chevrolet was approved unanimously. Bailey made the motion and Brown seconded.
In other news:
• Bailey commended Swainsboro student Kimberly Rios, who was featured as a student spotlight at a summer conference held in Savannah. Out of five student spotlights, Rios received a standing ovation for her speech.
• Bailey motioned to adopt minutes from previous meetings. Rogers seconded, and all voted in favor.
Board members held executive session at 6:30 p.m. prior to the meeting. The following were approved:
• Employments, certified personnel — Kay Beal, instructional coach, effective July 16, 2018, and Susan Stoll, teacher, effective July 25, 2018.
• Employment, classified person — George Vassel, bus driver, effective August 1, 2018.
• Employments, certified personnel pending NCIC results, effective July 25, 2018 — Brenda Coleman, Antoinette Dawkins, Leslie Howell, Renee McGraw, Kimberly Miner, Elayah Peebles, Natalie Purifoy, Kellie Smith, and Tiffany Strickland, teachers.
• Employments, classified personnel pending NCIC results — Betty King, paraprofessional, and Angel Oliver, Pre-K paraprofessional, effective July 25, 2018.
• Transfers, certified personnel, effective July 25, 2018 — Heather Hodges, teacher at pre-K, will transfer to Twin City Elementary School, and Ashley Hooks, teacher at Swainsboro High School, will transfer to Swainsboro Middle School.
• Resignations, certified personnel, effective May 31, 2018 — Jarriel Kelly and Bobby McNeely, teachers.
• Resignation, classified person, effective June 19, 2018 — Renia Snelling, paraprofessional.
• Retirement, classified person — Robin McGee, clerical, effective August 1, 2018.