Fundraiser held for Hwy 56 Drive In sign restoration
by Emanuel County Live | June 4, 2013 1:47 pm
The Emanuel County Historic Preservation Society hosted a party at the Cadle Barn May 18 to raise funds for restoring the Hwy 56 Drive In sign that has been donated by the Bellamy family. The drive in was opened on December 25, 1952 as a joint project of L.O. Lindsay and his son-in-law, Tommy Bellamy and remained in operation until 1984. Shown here are Dianette, Tony and Patricia, the Bellamy siblings that attended the party, standing in front of the sign.
During the party the crowd played “Lucky” and participated in a silent auction that included many handmade items as well as speakers from the drive-in, Elvis items and many old movie posters. Sam’s Drive-In Band and Rhett Blount provided the music for dancing and listening enjoyment. A delicious buffet supper was served, and everyone truly had a good time.
The group raised half enough funds to restore the sign, and when it is finished, there will be an unveiling party. The sign will be housed at the Society’s Farm and Home Museum at 161 Museum Road, Swainsboro.
The Society is a not-for-profit organization and all contributions are deductible to the extent allowed by law. Contributions are appreciated and may be mailed to ECHPS, P.O. Box 353, Swainsboro, GA 30401.