Board of Commissioners holds Tuesday meeting
by Emanuel County Live | January 31, 2013 10:01 am
by KATELYN MOORE
Due to the Martin Luther King, Jr., Holiday, the regular meeting of the Emanuel County Board of Commissioners was held on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013. During the meeting, Hugh Foskey was voted Board Chairman for the 2013 calendar year. Keith Thompson was voted Vice-Chairman.
Rural Fire Chief Mike Strobridge discussed the purchase of self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) equipment for the Rural Fire Departments to comply with regulations. He was able to find refurbished equipment that will fit the regulations and come at a lower price than new equipment. The Commissioners voted to approve the purchase, with the addition of “buddy breathing” equipment for each SCBA pack.
The Board then discussed TSPLOST collections, which have begun. They expect the first revenue to come in during March of 2013. The first project in priority order is the construction and paving of the extension to Fairground Road from State Route 4 to SR 57. The project will involve engineering work for wetland delineation and mitigation processes in addition to other related engineering issues. The board voted to allow County Administrator Ezra Price to proceed with the project. SPLOST funds will be used for preliminary funding. The estimated cost to complete the project is $550,000, and the SPLOST fund will be reimbursed for expenses related to the engineering cost as TSPLOST funds are received.
In other business, the Commissioners:
• Authorized County Administrator Price to seek bids for the projects included in the LMIG application submitted in December 2012. The county has received funding in the amount of $670,795.02 for uses as approved by GDOT. LMIG projects require a 10% match, which will be funded with SPLOST monies.
• Adopted a resolution designating County Administrator Ezra Price to serve as CLC for Emanuel County and transmitted the resolution to the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia.
• Voted to allow the Law Library Committee to purchase benches to be placed in the foyer of the court house. Funds from the Law Library in the amount of $8,000 will be used to purchase the benches.
• Approved a lease amendment between the United States of America and the Emanuel County Board of Commissioners for the lease agreement for the FSA Service Center located at 145 N. Anderson Drive in Swainsboro. The term began February 2, 2009 and runs to November 30, 2014. The rental amount will remain the same.
• Approved the agreement between the Commissioners and Peek Pavement Marking, LLC for striping and signage in the Emanuel County Off-the-State-Route-System Safety Enhancement project, which was awarded to Peek in December of 2012.
• Accepted a grant from the Georgia Emergency Management Agency to update the Emanuel County Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan to meet federal requirements. The grant is in the amount of $24,000 and the county agreed to match $6,000.